Does remote work really work?
Spoiler alert: yes, remote work really does work! You'll walk away from this session knowing why remote work is awesome, empowered to convince your boss to let you work remotely, and armed with the tools you need to be a happy, successful remote employee.
Spoiler alert: yes, remote work really does work!
With nearly nine years of experience as a remote employee across three different companies, [speaker] knows the ups and downs of remote work. In this session, [speaker] will dive into what the research says about remote work and share their personal stories of failures and successes.
You'll walk away from this session knowing why remote work is awesome, empowered to convince your boss to let you work remotely, and armed with the tools you need to be a happy, successful remote employee.
If you've been thinking about making the transition to working remotely, you're a manager of people who are or could work remotely, or you've made the leap to remote work and are struggling to make it work, this is the session for you!
- Intro (5 mins)
- My Story (5 mins)
- Why do you want to work remotely? (3 mins)
- Unable to relocate due to spouse’s job or kids’ school
- High cost of living at office location
- Lengthy commutes
- Availability for children or aging parents
- Distracting office environments
- Travel the world
- Why do employers offer remote work options? (2 minutes)
- Attract and retain top talent--no matter where they live
- Increase employee morale
- Save money!
- Increase employee productivity
- What does the research say? (8 minutes)
- Summary of Stack Overflow survey results
- Summary of journal study results
- Summary of Cisco teleworker survey results
- Quote from literature review of 46 studies spanning 20 years
- Summary of downsides to working remotely
- How to convince your boss to let you work remotely (5 minutes)
- Propose an experiment
- What about collaboration and water-cooler conversations?
- Talk about the bottom line
- How to succeed at working remotely (5 minutes)
- Join the right team
- Be productive
- Communicate with your team
- Actively prevent burnout
- Summary (2 minutes)
- You can be a remote work pop star!
- "If I could change anything, it would be that each and every one of you would ask for what she wants." Telle Whitney